After seeing a recent post by Emily at Education to the Core featuring 20 Teachers to Follow on Pinterest, I found myself disappointed by the lack of secondary teachers on the list. (Please don’t misunderstand me – Emily has a fabulous blog and is doing great things!! Her audience is just not secondary teachers, so it makes sense that she would focus on the elementary and not the secondary level.) As a champion for secondary teachers (a former high school English teacher myself), I immediately wanted to be sure that Pinterest audiences – especially secondary teachers – knew that there are some AMAZINGLY helpful and relevant boards and pinners out there that teachers should be following. I decided to spend the day researching helpful boards that were not all about products and sales, but the promotion of best-practices, innovative ideas, and helpful resources. While many of these boards do have products pinned, the crux of each is not about advertising. The results? Here’s what I found:
20 Secondary Teacher/Pinners You Should Be Following on Pinterest
1. Simply Novel Teaching Ideas – that’s me, of course (formerly Secondary Solutions) – I have boards featuring everything from Teaching Writing to Teaching Funnies to my Teaching Shakespeare board, specifically for the ELA teacher from upper elementary to high school. My most popular secondary-specific collaborative board at the time is Top Secondary Teachers, featuring the best of the best secondary teachers from all subjects.
2. Jason’s Online Classroom – There are so many awesome resources are available out there, and Jason’s boards Grades 6-8: Ideas and Resources and Grades 9-12: Ideas and Resources are home to most of them! These are general secondary boards for all subject areas.
3. Another great board, specifically for middle and junior high teachers of all subjects is Middle/Junior High Teaching Tools. Over 8000 pins of general ideas, advice, and support, hosted by Learn with Watts.
4. For Secondary Math teachers, Scaffolded Math and Science is host to a great collaborative board called simply Math Grades 7-12. With nearly 300 teacher/pinners, ideas and resources abound – specifically for secondary math.
5. Secondary Science teachers will appreciate Stupendous Secondary Science Lessons, featuring nearly 4,000 pins highlighting experiments, activities, and relevant products, geared for the middle and high school classroom and hosted by Getting Nerdy with Mel and Gerdy
6. Another hugely popular board for Secondary Science teachers is hosted by Amy Brown at Science Stuff, featuring a collaboration of teacher/pinners contributing to the Science for Secondary Grades: Biology, Chemistry, Physics & More! With over 8,600 pins, this board really is a “science teacher’s utopia.”
7. An awesome board focusing on high school level classroom management and organization (because we can’t simply use those cute rote sayings to get our kids’ attention!) is the collaborative board High School Classroom Management, Inspiration, and Organization, hosted by Danielle Knight. This board features tips, links, resources, ideas and inspiration to keep the secondary teacher organized and motivated.
8. For Special Ed teachers in middle and high school, a board you should be following is Awesome Secondary Special Educators, a collaboration of special education teachers hosted by Christine Reeve. Excellent ideas, motivational articles, and resources on this collaborative board.
10. Of course, Pinterest created Teachers on Pinterest has created specific boards for each grade level and subject area. The boards High School English, Middle School English, and High School Science are awesome.
I do realize I am missing foreign language and other electives, the arts, physical education, and other, more specialized teacher/pinners and boards. Innately, secondary teachers have a difficult time finding their “people.” Any suggestions? I would love to hear from you to put together a list of the best specialized boards on Pinterest, helping those secondary peeps find and connect with their tribe! Leave a comment, and be sure to check and follow out these fabulous boards.